Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reading the Bible -- and Which One?

Hello, all. This is my first post to this impromptu blog on the Bible (although this won't be just about the Bible alone) and my discovery, re-discovery, interpretation and manifestation of GOD's Word discovered in it. I am by no means a 'professional blogger', I'm just sharing my opinions. Be kind, question and communicate often.

So, Reading the Bible -- and Which One?

Have you ever been to a secular bookstore and ventured over to their 'religious' section? If you have, you were probably bombarded with a variety of 'versions' of the Holy Bible (youth Bible, woman's Bible, African-American themed, etc.) in numerous translations, such as Kings James Version (KJV), New Living Translation (NLT), American Standard Version (ASV), etc.

So which of these is right...for you?

That's a difficult question with a complicated answer because it all depends. It depends on where you are in your walk with GOD. It depends if you're trying to gain some added knowledge (for example, some Bibles highlight historical/geographic facts; some Bibles expound on particular themes; some Bibles offer original Greek and Hebrew notes for cross referencing). It depends if you're trying to get through the Bible in one year.

So what's the answer? -- I don't know. I can't tell you what to read.

However, I can tell you about my Bible choices and what I've learned.

There are two Bibles that I read most frequently: the Tanakh and the Original African Heritage Study Bible (KJV). I didn't make these choices for any political reasons, and actually, these translations of the Bible came into my possession inadvertently. One was a gift and one was required text for a university class.

I appreciate and love the Jewish Publication Society's Tanakh because the language is simple and I trust the translation (in the 7 years that I've been reading it, I have yet to find any questionable passages). I read the African Heritage Kings James Version because it offers a variety of maps, historical notes and its editors offer an alternative (perhaps more factual) perspective on the Bible's contents (in comparison to the whitewashing some racists like to purport).

I also own a NLT and New Kings James Version. In addition, I have a copy of the Book of Enoch and the Apocrypha. The Book of Enoch and the Apocrypha are controversial works not included into the Bible nor accepted by the religious establishment. How can I read these 'extra' works?

I firmly believe that the Holy Bible as we have it today with 66 books is as the LORD intends it to be. However, men -- not all with good intentions or clear minds -- decided to keep and add certain books into the final canon. That doesn't mean that other witnesses/ historians didn't write legitimate works in relation to the works of GOD. But let me restate, I only take the Holy Bible as the gospel truth, if you will. These other works only serve to fulfill my curiosity. In the Holy Bible it says Enoch walked with GOD. So why is it unreasonable that Enoch, since he was alive (and still is I suppose), put together some words on his experiences with the LORD? As for the Apocrypha, I can't say much. I haven't really read it much since I bought it years ago.

So, back to the question of which Bible to read? My suggestions? -- The Kings James Version is the established translation of the Holy Bible (why? I don't really know...which may make for an interesting future post). Since the KJV is the accepted, historical translation, I hold all other translations up to that when reading the Word. I have encountered 'curious' passages in the NLT, for example, that seemed to be saying something completely different from what the exact same passages insinuated in the KJV. It's not unlikely that many of these translations are just watered down to pander to the hearts and minds of men, and some could even be meant to purposefully mislead.

Choose wisely. Consult those you know who are strong in the Word. But first, speak with the Holy Spirit and he will direct you and reveal the LORD's words to you as you read.

Please let me know which Bible translations work for you, and what other books you may read?



No comments: