Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The Importance of Going to Church

I grew up in the church since my parents are dedicated Christians and for them, attending church just goes without saying. I, on the other hand, abruptly stopped attending church right around the time when I started college (big surprise, huh?). That was about 10 years ago. I didn't go to church for a decade, but tried to remain faithful to the Word by reading the Holy Bible often, praying daily and living a righteous life. Needless to say, I wasn't 'walking' as well as I should have during that time. Yes, I was a good person and did as I was supposed to. But I also developed a few lax attitudes and habits...which I believe would never have come about if I had been attending church.

For some reason, I thought it was OK to drink alcohol/ beer once in a while, to smoke marijuana, to use cuss words and to even fornicate (I was in a monogamous, committed relationship after all). I seriously didn't see how these habits conflicted with my faith and loyalty to GOD. I had become an unsaved sinner all over again -- I just rationalized that GOD knows my heart, the stuff I'm doing isn't a big deal. Boy was I blind. Having only myself to really turn to in terms of checking myself, I was pretty much lost and really didn't realize it.

I started attending a church just less than a month ago, and therefore, have only attended a handful of times. Barely into the praise part of the worship, I instantly regretted all those years I wasted veering off of GOD's path for me. I thought, 'Wow, I've really been missing out.' That's how much joy and peace and comfort I felt just by being in the sanctuary surrounded by other like-minded folks praising GOD. It was also great hearing a man of GOD share a message from the Bible. I had been missing out on all of these things for a decade! I thanked him repeatedly for opening my eyes, my heart and my mind.

Going to church and being surrounded by individuals of the same mind with one purpose and heart gives encouragement and strength. It keeps you on your toes to live as you should so when you go back into the world you can fight temptation and stay dedicated to GOD.

Hebrews 10:24-25 (New King James Version): 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.


And I know how hard it can be to find a good church with people who actually believe on the Word and puts it into practice. No doubt the numerous false teachers/preachers/prophets who seem more interested in getting your monetary 'seed' and selling you prayer cloths, oils and even miracle water are a bit discouraging. But there are so many places of worship (Trust me, I know. There are at least 6 within a 2 mile radius from my home), that it can be a bit confusing about which to choose and how to choose. You know very well, though, that if you seek GOD he will guide you...in ALL things. If you find yourself in a place where you should not be the HOLY SPIRIT will definitely let you know! And as the Bible says, try the spirit. What kind of fruits does this church seem to be producing?

There is no acceptable excuse to not attend church, and I believe GOD wants all of us to gather and praise him regularly. Am I saying you should go to church every Sunday? I definitely am not. That's between you and GOD. Besides, not everyone worships on Sunday. Some folks even gather every day to worship. Again, that's between you and GOD. The point is, is that you do it. GOD always has a place and plan for you.

For further reading, try this post at All Experts.

Do you attend church? If so, how often and when? If you don't, what's keeping you from doing so?


No comments: